Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Altered States

The two “altered states” I chose to undergo simultaneously were wearing socks over both hands and squinting my eyes. I maintained both states simultaneously for a half hour. At first squinting did not affect me too badly. However, as time passed my eyes began to get tired and it was harder to keep them slightly open. With the socks over my hands it was difficult conducting activities heavily involving the use of my fingers. The first activity I tried with both altered states was using my computer. Not only was it semi difficult to see the screen and what I was doing but also, typing became a problem. The socks made typing difficult because I would hit buttons that I didn’t mean to. Combined with squinting this was an even bigger problem because when I did make a typing mistake, it was not easy to see the buttons. The only thing that made it possible was my memory of where each button was.
The next activity I did was doing my laundry. I had to be more careful when selecting the cycles and such because I did not want to have to pay more money to redo my laundry. By taking things slowly I was able to get the job done without having to start over. Doing laundry with socks over my hands was not difficult because it is not a task heavily involving the use of individual fingers. However, it was quite funny and ironic doing laundry with socks on my hands.
If I were to only squint my eyes, both tasks would have been a little easier than when performing with two altered states. It would still have been difficult to read what was on the computer screen, though. If I were to only wear socks on my hands, typing would still have been a problem but I could still manage doing laundry in about the same amount of time if I had no socks on my hands.
Each altered state was different from the other in that they each affected me in different ways. The squinting affected my vision negatively, while the socks affected the use of my hands negatively. Doing this activity makes me enjoy having good vision and the use of all my body parts. Life would just not be as enjoyable any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment